September is here and that means school busses are once again on the road. Let’s talk about ways we can keep everyone safe this school season. 😊
- drivers travelling in both directions must stop for a stopped school bus with its upper red lights flashing and/or stop arm up
- when you approach the bus from the front, stop at a safe distance to let children get on or off the bus and cross the road
- don’t move forward until the red lights have stopped flashing and stop arm is no longer activated or the bus begins to move
- In the Kanata TCP parking lot, DO NOT go around the bus that is stopped to let children out in the gated area, please respect all bus rules
- At the Carling TCP site, the bus does stop on the road to pick-up/drop-off the children, please ensure you are following all road rules
When you board or leave a bus:
- Be at the bus stop before the bus comes.
- Wait in a safe place, back from the edge of the road – don’t play in ditches or on snowbanks.
- Stay out of the DANGER ZONE. If you can touch the bus, you’re too close. Take 5 giant steps to take you out of the DANGER ZONE, and make sure you and the bus driver can see each other.
- Always cross the road in front of the bus, never behind.
- Look all ways and wait for the driver to signal before you cross in front of a bus.
- Enter and exit the bus in single file. Never push or shove.
- Walk – never run – across the road.
- NEVER stop to pick up anything that you may have dropped in the DANGER ZONE. Ask an adult or the bus driver to help.
While on the bus:
- Find a seat right away. Stay seated, facing forward at all times.
- Don’t put things in the aisle.
- Never distract the bus driver. Always follow his or her instructions.
- Don’t eat or drink.
- Don’t yell, push people, or throw things.
- Keep your arms and head inside the bus.
Here are some bus safety videos for you and your children to enjoy:
For Your Information:
Our Megan`s Place location has 5 buses that come to pick up and drop off the school age children:
- Georges Vanier English Catholic School
- Kanata Highlands Public School
- St. Remis French Catholic School
- Julie Payette French Public School
- W. Erskin Johnson English Public School
Our Carling Location has 4 buses that come to pick up and drop off the school age children:
- St. Elizabeth English Catholic School
- St. Francois French Catholic School
- W.E Gowling (Kinder bus only)
- Charlotte Lemieux French Public School